Historic Markers Across Georgia



Freedmen's Schooling



Marker ID: MBC 
Location: adjacent to 745 Hill St. across the street from Clarks Chapel Baptist Church, Madison
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 33° 35.638 `    W 083° 28.546
  33.59396    -83.47577
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Freedmen's Schooling Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

In 1865, the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands begn assistance to former slaves. While efforts at educating freed slaves were strongest in Georgia´s larger cities and towns, State Superintendent of Freedmen´s Schools G.L. Eberhardt recognized the need to expand to rural areas.

Two years later, Eberhardt rented for a school the Madison Baptist congregation´s former church on Academy Street (which was also rented to their black brethren who had formed Calvary Baptist Church led by Rev. Allen Clark). By June 1867, the Bureau acquired a one-acre tract on Hill Street and purchased the rented building for relocation to the site.

Northern aid societies-the most significant among these for Central Georgia being the American Missionary Association-supplied financial support and teachers, mostly Northern white women. As President of the local education association, Rev. Clark worked to employ African-American teachers for Madison Freedmen´s School, which operated here until the 1870s when Georgia´s dual system of education began.



CITY OF MADISON MADISON BICENTENNIAL COMMISSION 1809-2009
A PRESERVE AMERICA COMMUNITY



 

 

097-C01