Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Perry-1813



Marker ID: GHM 098-1
Location: Ga 41 at Fort Perry Rd, about 12 miles north of Buena Vista
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 32° 28.691    W 084° 32.647
  32.47818106    -84.54411709
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPVVE
Fort Perry-1813 Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

One half mile due east lies the site of Fort Perry, along the Old Federal Road. A stockade fort, defended by block houses, this post was ordered erected by General John Floyd of Camden County, as he led a body of 400 Georgia Militiamen through this friendly Indian country to fight the Red Sticks across the Chattahoochee River in Alabama territory. Completed in October 1813, it was named in honor of Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry, Naval hero of the War of 1812, whose message from the Battle of Lake Erie that "We have met the enemy and they are ours" gave him immortal fame.

GHM 098-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

098-1