Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Federal Road



Marker ID: GHM 098-2
Location: Ga 41 at Fort Perry Rd, about 12 miles north of Buena Vista
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 32° 28.687    W 084° 32.662
  32.47812108    -84.54436285
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7PBP
Old Federal Road Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The road crossing east and west here is The Old Federal Road Western Georgia´s first vehicular thoroughfare. Beginning at Fort Hawkins (now Macon) it led across the Creek Indian Country to the Alabama River above Mobile. Permission to open the trace was granted by the Indians in 1805the road long served as an emigrant and port route to the West. Fort Perry, one-half mile due east, was established by General John Floyd´s army when it came this way during The Creek War of 1813-14. Lafayette travelled this road to Alabama in 1825. He spent the night of March 30 at Spain´s Tavern near Fort Perry.

GHM 098-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

098-2