Historic Markers Across Georgia



New Courthouse-1850



Marker ID: GHM 098-3
Location: Ga 41 at the new Courthouse, Buena Vista
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 32° 19.11    W 084° 31.081
  32.31850244    -84.51802036
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7MXM
New Courthouse-1850 Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Built in 1850 of locally made brick, this is one of two courthouses standing in Marion County. The other built in 1848 is at Tazewell. The first courthouse was at Horry. When the county seat was moved here the town was called Pea Ridge. Wishing a new name the citizens chose Taylor, for Gen. Zach Taylor, but found there was al- ready a Taylor, Ga. Then came news of a Mexican War victory at Buena Vista and this name was chosen. Pea Ridge was one mile from the ancient Indian village of King´s town on the Uchee Trail used by Indians to carry trading goods 300 miles from Alabama to Savannah.

GHM 098-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Marion Co. Courthouse
New Courthouse-1850
Photo by Ken Moser



 

098-3