Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Courthouse-1848



Marker ID: GHM 098-4
Location: Ga 137 at the old courthouse, Tazewell
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 32° 22.83    W 084° 26.45
  32.38049574    -84.44083338
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7NHW
Old Courthouse-1848 Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:


This courthouse built in 1848 at a cost of $1,637 replaced one built in 1839 and was burned in 1845. The courthouse now in use was built at Buena Vista, then Pea Ridge, in 1850 when the county seat was moved. The first court-house in Marion County was at Horry. Members of Marion Lodge No. 14 F. & A.M. established in 1840 have met in this old courthouse since its construction. Prior to this they met in the courthouse that was burned. This courthouse now marks the exact center of the new city limits established by incorporation in 1953.

GHM 098-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Old Marion Co. Courthouse
Old Courthouse-1848
Photo by Ken Moser



 

098-4