Historic Markers Across Georgia



Church Hill



Marker ID: GHM 098-5
Location: Ga 41 just north of the Webster County Line
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 32° 9.753    W 084° 32.724
  32.16255711    -84.54539391
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7MX0
Church Hill Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This name was given to the large settlement here because of its many churches. Shiloh Baptist, still active, was constituted in 1835. Smyrna Presbyterian, constituted July 28, 1838, was active until 1925. Church Hill Methodist was here from 1838 until 1898. The Christian Union Church operated from 1840 to 1870.

The famous old St. Marys Road from Columbus to St. Marys, on the coast, passed on the west side of Smyrna Church and in front of the others. The old Mt. Pisgah Free Will Baptist Church was nearby. This section, known as Cut-Off District, originally part of Stewart County, was added to Marion County in 1847


GHM 098-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

098-5