Historic Markers Across Georgia



Meriwether County



Marker ID: GHM 099-3
Location: Courthouse in Greenville
County: Meriwether
Coordinates: N 33° 1.714    W 084° 42.765
  33.02856369    -84.71274261
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Q0B
Meriwether County Marker  



Text:

Meriwether County, ´Second Home´ of Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt and birthplace of three Ga. Governors -- Joseph M. Terrell, William Y. Atkinson and John M. Slaton -- was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1827 from Troup County. It was named for Gen. David Meriwether (1755-1823), Revolutionary soldier, legislator, Congressman. Representing the government in various negotiations with the Indians, he had unusual influence with their Chiefs. First officers of Meriwether County, commissioned Feb. 7, 1828, were: Joseph Weaver, Sheriff; Hugh W. Ector, Clk. Sup. Ct.; A.M. Weathers, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Joseph Crockett, Surveyor; John Edmonds, Coroner.

GHM 099-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

099-3