Historic Markers Across Georgia



Roosevelt Farm



Marker ID: GHM 099-5
Location: Ga 85W just north of Ga 190
County: Meriwether
Coordinates: N 32° 51.117    W 084° 42.022
  32.85195338    -84.70036084
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4P6F
Roosevelt Farm Marker  



Text:

Over 2200 acres atop Pine Mountain were purchased 1926-37, by Franklin D. Roosevelt, some 150 acres of which were pasture and crop land - the rest in pine and hardwoods.

The farm was operated on a self-sustaining basis by adherence to methods consonant with practical farming in this section and emphasis on erosion control, reforestation, cover crops, and general soil conservation. The program embraced animal husbandry - cattle, hogs, and poultry - together with fruits and vegetables, as a practical model for Roosevelt´s neighbors. These products supplied the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation during the austerities of food rationing in the 2nd World War period. Having served their original purpose, the farm buildings were removed in 1959 and pine trees planted in keeping with the President´s love of forests.

GHM 099-5 Georgia Historical Commission 1959



 

 

099-5