Historic Markers Across Georgia



Carmel Historic District



Marker ID: GHS 99-1
Location: on Ga 362 at Carmel Road in Carmel E of Alvaton
County: Meriwether
Coordinates: N 33° 10.29    W 084° 32.249
  33.17150051    -84.53748187
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Q0G
Carmel Historic District Marker  



Text:

Settlement of Carmel community began with the creation of Meriwether County in 1827. Early families-- Caldwell, Burton, Campson, Gray, Reynolds, Williams, Pope, and Glass--came from Edgefield District, South Carolina. They established Carmel Academy, churches, a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, general merchandise and farm supply store, millinery, lace business, post office, cane syrup mill, and a pottery. Carmel native, Harmon White Caldwell (1899-1977), became Dean of Lumpkin Law School, President of the University of Georgia, and Chancellor of the University System of Georgia.

1999.9 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Meriwether Historical Society, and Carmel Methodist Church 99-1



 

 

099-HS1