Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia Warm Springs Foundation



Marker ID: GHS 99-3
Location: at Georgia Hall, 6315 Roosevelt Hwy, Warm Springs, GA
County: Meriwether
Coordinates: N 32° 53.492    W 084° 41.245
  32.89153    -84.68741
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6QNG
Georgia Warm Springs Foundation Marker  



Text:

These gates mark the original entrance to the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, established in July 1927 by Franklin D. Roosevelt and Basil O´Connor for the treatment of polio victims. Roosevelt himself suffered from polio beginning in 1921. Learning of the therapeutic nature of the watersat Warm Springs, Roosevelt spent two-thirds of his personal assets to acquire the Warm Springs property in 1926. Roosevelt´s 1932 election to the presidency facilitated fundraising efforts for the Foundation, whose pioneering work to alleviate the debilitating effects of polio expanded in 1938 when Roosevelt created the March of Dimes to unify a national effort to eradicate the disease.

2004.2 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the 99-3
Roosevelt Warm Springs Development Fund, Inc.



 

 

099-HS3