Historic Markers Across Georgia



Miller County



Marker ID: GHM  100-1
Location: Courthouse in Colquitt, GA
County: Miller
Coordinates: N 31° 10.303    W 084° 44.02
  31.17172146    -84.73367328
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6MCW
Miller County  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Miller County


This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 26, 1856, is named for Judge Andrew J. Miller who died in 1856. A Commander of the Oglethorpe Infantry, he served in the legislature for more than twenty years and was several times President of the Senate. He long championed a bill to give married women separate property rights. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Delmar Averett, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Thomas S. Floyd, Ordinary Isaac Bush, Tax Receiver John Fiveash, Tax Collector West Sheffield and Surveyor James D. Pickern.

GHM 100-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954




Miller County
Photo by David Seibert



 

100-1