Historic Markers Across Georgia



State Teachers and Agricultural College/Hubbard Training School



Marker ID: GHS 102-1
Location: at elementary school at 500 Ga. 83 South, Forsyth
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 33° 1.442    W 083° 57.278
  33.024039    -83.954634
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4JWR
State Teachers and Agricultural College/Hubbard Training School  Marker  



Text:

Founded in 1902 by William M. Hubbard, STAC was one of the state´s official schools for the instruction of black teachers between 1931 and 1938. Originally named the Forsyth Normal and Industrial School, STAC was one of three black public colleges added to the University System of Georgia in 1932. Teaches from rural county school systems came to STAC to earn their teaching certificates. After closing in 1939, the school re-opened later that year as the Hubbard Training School, Monroe County´s first black high school. New construction on this campus, begun in 1955, housed the Hubbard Elementary and High School, and, in 1970, the Hubbard Elementary School

2002-15 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and the 102-1
Hubbard Alumni Association



 

 

102-1