Historic Markers Across Georgia



Monroe County



Marker ID: GHM 102-3
Location: Courthouse in Forsyth
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 33° 2.059    W 083° 56.356
  33.03432224    -83.93927073
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: WM24Q5
Monroe County  Marker
Photo by tnt-tim



Text:

Created by Act of May 15, 1821, Monroe County, an original county containing all of Pike and parts of Bibb, Butts and Lamar Counties, was ceded by the Creek Indians in early 1821. Laid out by the Lottery Act, it was rapidly occupied by large numbers of small landowners. The county was named for James Monroe, President of the U.S. (1817-1825). First officers, commissioned Apr. 1, 1822 were: John Cureton, Sheriff; Wilkins Hunt, Clk. Sup. Ct.; Isaac Welch, Clk. Inf. Ct.; John Tomlinson, Coroner; James Holloway, Surveyor. James Whatley became Surveyor and Henry Jourdan, Coroner, on Sedpt. 17, 1822

GHM 102-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 
Notes:

one of two Monroe County markers with same marker number

 

102-3