Historic Markers Across Georgia



Montpelier Institute



Marker ID: GHM 102-3
Location: Ga 74 near the Bibb County line
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 32° 51.906    W 083° 52.921
  32.86510514    -83.88201638
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6XEN
Montpelier Institute  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Montpelier Institute, founded in 1842 by Stephen Elliott, Jr., First Episcopal Bishop of the diocese of Georgia, was Georgia´s second oldest school for girls. Col. G.B. Lamar gave the land for the school including Montpelier Springs, long noted as a health resort. Operated until 1856 as a Female Institute with students from several states and prominent teachers, its cutural influence was felt for many years. For 20 years, until 1876, Montpelier was a private school. When that school closed the property was acquired by the Hart family of Macon.

GHM 102-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 
Notes:

one of two Monroe County markers with same marker number

 

102-3A