Historic Markers Across Georgia



Forsyth



Marker ID: GHM 102-4
Location: Courthouse in Forsyth
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 33° 2.09    W 083° 56.354
  33.03483731    -83.9392307
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM24Q0
Forsyth  Marker
Photo by tnt-tim



Text:

Forsyth, County Seat of Monroe County, was incorporated by Act of Legislature in 1823. It is in almost the exact geographical center of the State. First commissioners were James S. Phillips, Henry H. Lumpkin, John E. Bailey, Anderson Baldwin and Samuel Drewry. Forsyth was named for John Forsyth who, as U.S. Minister to Spain, negotiated the final treaty by which Florida and other lands held by Spain were ceded to the U.S. He served as Governor, Senator and U.S. Secretary of State under Presidents Jackson and Van Buren

GHM 102-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

102-4