Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tift College



Marker ID: GHM 102-7
Location: inside the fence at the college's southern gate on Tift College Dr., Forsyth
County: Monroe
Coordinates: N 33° 2.109    W 083° 55.774
  33.03514727    -83.9295673
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6XDX
Tift College  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Chartered in 1849 as Forsyth Female Collegiate Institute, Tift College was one of the group of colleges pioneering in the education of women. Known for 50 years as Monroe College, the name was changed in 1907 to Bessie Tift College, honoring a devoted alumna, Mrs. Bessie Willingham Tift, and was abbreviated to Tift in 1956. Since 1898 the property of the Georgia Baptist Convention, it has served well its avowed purpose: ´that our daughters may be as cornerstones polished after the similitude of a palace.´

GHM 102-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 
Notes:

one of two Monroe County markers with same marker number

 

102-7A