Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dead River Cemetery



Marker ID: GHM 103-3
Location: US 221/Ga 135 at crossroad about 1 mile south of Uvalda
County: Montgomery
Coordinates: N 32° 0.54    W 082° 30.637
  32.00900103    -82.51061229
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPVY9
Dead River Cemetery  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

On a hilltop nearby stands the old Dead River Cemetery named for the river which was at one time part of the Oconee. Dead River Church once stood there but was later moved to Longpond 2 miles north. In the cemetery are buried three soldiers of the Revolution, Capt. Wilson Conner, Richard Cooper and William Ryals. Other Revolutionary soldiers are believed to be buried there also. Capt. Conner was a member of the Legislature and for 18 years Judge of the Inferior Court. In 13 years he traveled 35,000 miles on horseback preaching and died in the pulpit as he had wished.

GHM 103-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1955




Dead River Cemetery
Photo by David Seibert



 

103-3