Historic Markers Across Georgia



Morgan County



Marker ID: GHM 104-6
Location: at courthouse, Madison
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.748    W 083° 27.99
  33.59579849    -83.46649933
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6T3B
Morgan County Marker  



Text:

Morgan County was created by Act of Dec. 10, 1807 from Baldwin County. It was named for Gen. Daniel Morgan (1736-1802), a native of N.J. ´Exactly fitted for the toils and pomp of war,´ he served with distinction on Benedict Arnold´s expedition to Quebec in 1776-6, commanded the riflemen at Saratoga in 1777 and defeated Tarleton at Cowpens in 1781. After the War he served two terms in Congress. First county officers of Morgan County, commissioned January 14, 1808, were: Joseph White, Sheriff; John Nesbitt, Clk. Sup. Ct.; Isham S. Fannen, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Daniel Sessions, Surveyor; Miles Gibbs, Coroner.

GHM 104-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 
Morgan County Courthouse
Morgan County


 

104-6