Historic Markers Across Georgia



The March to the Sea



Marker ID: GHM 104-8
Location: located on Main St. (U.S. 441) in front of the Madison-Morgan County Cultural Center, Madison
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.514    W 083° 28.302
  33.59189987    -83.47170258
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3P6
The March to the Sea Marker  



Text:

On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [USA] into two wings. The Right Wing marched south from Atlanta to feint at Macon but to cross the Ocmulgee River above the city and concentrate at Gordon. The Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps), Maj. Gen. H.W. Slocum, marched east to Decatur where the 20th Corps, Brig. Gen. A.S. Williams, USA, took the road to Social Circle (16 miles NW), striking the Georgia Railroad there and destroying it to Madison. At Rutledge, all railway facilities were destroyed, those at Social Circle having been destroyed late in July by Garrard´s Cavalry (USA). that night, the 20th Corps camped two miles west of Madison on the old Covington Road.

On the 19th, Geary´s division was detached to destroy the RR bridge over the Oconee River (13 miles E) and other bridges down river toward Milledgeville. Jackson´s division marched through town and camped four miles south on the Eatonton road. Ward´s division destroyed the depot, water tank, warehouses, switching tracks, side-tracked cars and other railway facilities here in Madison, and quantities of cotton and army supplies.

This was Madison´s second ordeal by fire, large stocks of army supplies and valuable industrial property having been burned by Adam´s brigade (of Stoneman´s Cavalry) (USA) on August 1st.

GHM 104-8 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

104-8