Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dorsey



Marker ID: MCBC 
Location: On Dixie Highway just west of where Hightower Road crosses the railroad tracks and intersects Dixie Highway
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 36.198    W 083° 32.581
  33.6033    -83.54301666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RYP
Dorsey Marker  



Text:

On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of
Dorsey

As early as 1839, historic maps identify a community called Palestine in proximity to the community that became known as Dorsey. Located on the route traveled by the Georgia Railroad between the cities of Madison and Rutledge, Dorsey was located on the old Dixie Highway. Post office records indicate that it was a community of two- to three-hundred residents, and it boasted of a store and a cotton gin, as well as two churches and schools for both white and African American children. Though many of the civic structures associated with this community are no longer extant, numerous small family cemeteries in the area outlined boundaries of his former community. Dorsey was also the location of a Section Line for the Georgia Railroad. This small brick house served as a residence for the railway maintenance foreman. Smaller houses serve as residents for the section hands and their families.


BECAUSE OF THE INDIVIDUALS WHO TAKE PRIDE IN THIS COMMUNITY, DORSEY IS RECOGNIZED AS A SIGNIFICANT PART OF OUR COUNTY HISTORY



 

 

104-A10