Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fairplay



Marker ID: MCBC 
Location: At Fairplay and Prospect Roads at Fairplay
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 41.287    W 083° 34.992
  33.68811666    -83.5832
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6XD3
Fairplay Marker  



Text:

On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of
FAIRPLAY


One of the older communities in Morgan County, Fairplay is identified on county maps as early as 1839. Fairplay did not have railroad line in the community, but it appears to have developed on an old post road. Post office records from the 1880s identify the community as a village with about 40 inhabitants.

In addition to a store and post office, Fairplay also had a cotton gin to serve adjacent farmers. Prospect Church and Prospect School (also known as Fairplay School) are located in proximity to the original site of the store, and both are still recognized at the beginning of the 21st century. A second crossroads community existed to the north of Fairplay, around Malcom´s Store and Rock Springs Primitive Baptist Church. According to published accounts, the congregation of Rock Springs was established as early as 1840. Chestnut Grove Church and school, located west of Fairplay, served the African American community in that area.


BECAUSE OF THE INDIVIDUALS WHO TAKE PRIDE IN THIS COMMUNITY, FAIRPLAY

IS RECOGNIZED AS A SIGNIFICANT PART OF OUR COUNTY HISTORY



 

 

104-A11