Historic Markers Across Georgia



Springfield



Marker ID: MCBC 
Location: at the Springfield Baptist Church, on Bethany Church Road just north of Seven Islands Road.
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 29.716    W 083° 25.168
  33.49526666    -83.41946666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6KVV
Springfield Marker  



Text:

Identified with the Springfield Baptist Church and school that existed in the late nineteenth century, Springfield has roots in the African American community that extend back many generations. The church was originally organized in 1872, about seven years after the end of the Civil War. The land was donated for the church by Reuben Miller, and the initial church survived until its was rebuilt in 1899 and again in 1917. Fire destroyed this building in 1994, that you church was rebuilt the same year.

Located in the Shepherd´s militia district of Morgan County, the Springfield community emerged in proximity to the communities of Bethany and Zachary. Throughout Shepherd´s district a number of schools for both African American and white children were established by 1897, including Friendship School, Oak Grove School and Enterprise Academy. At least five cotton gins existed in proximity to the Springfield in 1897, underscoring the reliant on cotton as a commodity for the local it commute economy.

Because of the individuals who take pride in this community,
Springfield is recognized as a significant part of our County´s history



 

 

104-A14