Historic Markers Across Georgia



Advanced Education Center



Marker ID: CMAD 
Location: 472 S. Main St., Madison, GA
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.483    W 083° 28.317
  33.59138333    -83.47195
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMR839
Advanced Education Center Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Religious denominations organized Georgia's first colleges for women. Madison flourished as an educational center following the 1850 incorporation of both the Georgia Female College (Baptist), initially chartered as Madison Collegiate Institute, and the Madison Female College (Methodist).

The Georgia Female College opened for its Spring Session with 148 pupils in this building, which became the President's House after John B. Walker funded a three-story brick building to the right (burned 1882). The Madison Female College was also located in town but was also lost to fire in 1864.

A diverse curriculum attracted young women from as far as Philadelphia. Citizens supported the institutions with funding and provision of room and board. Both schools thrived until the outbreak of the Civil War, when the facilities were used as temporary hospitals. Post-war, private education never regained its former stature.

Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison Bicentennial Commission 1809-2009.




Advanced Education Center
Photo by David Seibert



 

104-A30