Historic Markers Across Georgia



Antebellum Architecture



Marker ID: CMAD 
Location: Heritage Hall, 277 S. Main St., Madison, GA
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.633    W 083° 28.183
  33.59388333    -83.46971666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMR833
Antebellum Architecture Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

As the county gained more plantations, Madison attracted nearby planters desiring to shop, socialize, learn, and worship. Some planters also built in-town homes. Antebellum architecture reflected the shift from the early yeoman farmer society to a slave-based plantation economy, dominated by a handful of planters whose grand homes spoke of their status.

Antebellum architecture also marked the community's growing prosperity as well as an interest in the newly fashionable Greek Revival architecture. Stylish homes were added and older homes updated throughout the city environs, building a reputation of a progressive and cultured town.

The Johnston-Jones-Manley House (c.1811) acquired its later Greek Revival façade during the 1840-1850s and was moved 200 feet to face S. Main Street in 1908, thus allowing the construction of the Methodist Church (1914). In 1977, a Manley heir donated the home to the Morgan County Historical Society, Inc., who manages it as a heritage tourism site-Heritage Hall, a house museum with period furnishings.

Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.




Antebellum Architecture
Photo by David Seibert



 

104-A31