Historic Markers Across Georgia



Civic Advancement



Marker ID: CMAD 
Location: Welcome Center, Main at Jefferson Sts., Madison, GA
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.75    W 083° 28.017
  33.59583333    -83.46695
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMR82Y
Civic Advancement Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The Town of Madison Board of Commissioners selected one of their body each year to serve as President until an 1876 charter amendment incorporated the "City" of Madison and vested leadership in a Mayor and Board of Aldermen (later the Mayor and City Council). In 1990, the city shifted to the City Manager - Council form of government.

With recovery following the Great Fire of 1869, the City also invested in civic improvements: a new cemetery (1880-1882); an electric plant and system (1891-1928); its own public school system (1895-1947); and a public waterworks system (1908). The City Hall & Firehouse (1887) replaced the former Town Hall, irreparably damaged by the 1886 Charleston earthquake.

When the 1939 City Hall & Firestation made the previous building obsolete, a period of commercial use was followed by the eventual restoration of the building in 1991 by the Madison-Morgan Chamber of Commerce Foundation, Inc. Chamber officer include the Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau, which operates a State Welcome Center.

Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.




Civic Advancement
Photo by David Seibert



 

104-A33