Historic Markers Across Georgia



Foundation to Consolidation



Marker ID: CMAD 
Location: Madison Morgan Cultural Center, S. Main St., Madison, GA
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.517    W 083° 28.267
  33.59195    -83.47111666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMR838
Foundation to Consolidation Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Empowered in 1894 to establish public schools, the City of Madison initiated construction of two graded schools, a contrast to one-room schoolhouses typical of rural areas. Nicholas Ittner of Atlanta built the brick graded school for white students - S. Main Street School, a Romanesque Revival design by Tinsley & Wilson of Lynchburg, Virginia.

Madison High School (1921, burned 1947) was added at the rear right facing Main followed by the Gymnasium (1938). With consolidation of city and county school systems in 1948, high school classes were relocated to the Madison A&M campus and, by 1957, the building was deemed surplus.

Abandonment and threatened demolition led the Morgan County Foundation, Inc., to organize and repurpose the building to serve as Regional Library Headquarters until 1975. With diligence and vision, the foundation restored the exterior as well as the magnificent auditorium and adapted the interior for a regional performing, visual, and decorative arts museum-opened in 1976 as the Madison-Morgan Cultural Center.

Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison Bicentennial Commission 1809-2009.



Madison-Morgan Cultural Center
Foundation to Consolidation
Photo by David Seibert



 

104-A37