Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Town Square



Marker ID: CMAD 
Location: Town Square, Main St. at Jefferson St., Madison, GA
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.769    W 083° 28.030
  33.59615    -83.46716666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMR836
The Town Square Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Reserved for public use in the original 1809 town plan, the public square is also used to establish the early town limits, first drawn as a half-mile radius (1822) and then as a mile radius (1849). This method formed circular town boundaries; a common early town planning technique in Georgia.

The square has also been in continuous use as public property-County Courthouse (1st c.1810-1844; 2nd 1845-1907), City Hall (1909-1916), Town Park (1917-1930), and U.S. Post Offices (1931). A year later, the city sold the property to the federal government but negotiated its use is a part until construction commenced on the post office.

Public accessories and amenities have long adored the square. In 1856 Braswell Monument anchored the west corner. On the prominent north corner stood the town "Market" (1851-c. 1885), a Victorian gazebo (c. 1901), and later the city "Police Shack" (c.1950-75). The 1908 Cooke fountain was also cited here (1925-31) wins Greek painting began.

City of Madison, Madison Bicentennial Commission 1809-2009




The Town Square
Photo by David Seibert



 

104-A44