Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Town Spring



Marker ID: CMAD 
Location: on the walking trail in Round Bowl Spring Park; the trail entrance is adjacent to the Morgan County African-American Historic Museum, near the intersection of Academy Street and Burnett Street, Madison GA.
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.795    W 083° 28.249
  33.59658333    -83.47081666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
The Town Spring Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Civil Engineer R.B. Tufts noted on the 1897 Morgan County map that "The Public Spring . . . which for all these years has been sending forth a bold, steady stream of pure, cold water, was the cause of establishing the Court House and the public buildings, and consequently the town, at this place."

James Cunningham and Tallifero Finney each submitted springs for siting the new community. Cunningham's "round bowl spring of clear pure water" was selected. Preservation of public springs became one of the first responsibilities of the newly incorporated town's officials in 1809.

Early efforts included keeping the springs in good order and prevent nearby timber cutting as well as any other improprieties. Public meeting minutes from the 1820s reflect such diligence -- cleaning out the public spring, maintaining the fence around the spring lot, and banning both bathing and washing of clothes in the Town Spring.

Erected 2009 by City of Madison Bicentennial Commission.



Water Flowing from the Town Spring
The Town Spring
Photo by David Seibert



 

104-A46