Historic Markers Across Georgia



Early Academies



Marker ID: CMAD 
Location: on West Central Avenue (near the entrance to the cemetery) northwest of Academy Street, Madison, GA.
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 35.680    W 083° 28.303
  33.59466666    -83.47171666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Early Academies Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Early academies were private, state chartered institutions. Only a year after the town founding in 1809, commissioners were appointed to organize Morgan County's first Academy, officially incorporated as the Madison Academy in 1815. Both male and female departments received tracks of land, and the Male Academy built a fine, two-story brick structure here.

A variety of private schools also operated in personal homes. Several were located along Porter Street. Private instruction was usually segregated by gender and ranged from primary to high school curriculum. Many younger children received their start in education in Holly Hall from Sarah Benham Judd Cooke and her daughter, proprietors of one of the south's earliest kindergartens. Several private schools were operational into the late 1880s.

These academies and schools charged tuition. They were eligible for funds established for the public school system under the 1868 State Constitution, but private education waned when Madison began public education in 1895.

City of Madison Madison Bicentennial Commission 1809 -- 2009
A Preserve America community




Early Academies
Photo by David Seibert



 

104-A47