Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pennington



Marker ID: MCBC 
Location: Located next to the Church in the community of Pennington, just off Ga 83.
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 28.850    W 083° 34.017
  33.48083333    -83.56695
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6KWM
Pennington Marker  



Text:

The Pennington Community was named for the Pennington family who first acquire land from ceded Native American territories. In 1784 as recognition for his service in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, Thomas Pennington was given a land grant of 287 ½ acres in the then Washington County.

By the year 1882, Pennington had both a post office and a country store. Pennington Methodist Church was dedicated in 1890 and in 1905 a two-room schoolhouse was educating the area children to seven grade levels. The Pennington home place, built in 1847, is still used by the family and community, and although the school was destroyed, the church, store and several other residential and agricultural structures dating to the mid-19th century still mark the heart of this historic community. The Newton family, also prominent in the area, donated land for the church and cemetery.

Early agriculture was based on cotton, dairy, timber, peaches and seed crops. Currently the dominant agricultural interests are timber, beef and dairy farms. Pennington Seed Company, founded in 1945 by Brooks Pennington, Sr., has grown to serve the local, national and international markets.

Morgan County Bicentennial Committee 2007



 

 

104-A5