Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mallory



Marker ID: MCBC 
Location: Mallory historic marker on Ga 83 at Wallace Road (just south of Nolan's Store, south of Bostwick).
County: Morgan
Coordinates: N 33° 41.023    W 083° 30.001
  33.68371666    -83.50001666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6T3R
Mallory Marker  



Text:

On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of
MALLORY


The early tax records of Morgan County identify the family of "Malry" in the Harris Militia District as early as the 1840s. By the turn of the twentieth century, the community of Mallory existed in the area owned by this family. By 1897, the Mallory community boasted a church, Mallory Chapel, and a school, Mallory School. By 1911, a second school, Longs Academy, served the Harris District. There was also a general store and a post office. The application filed with the postmaster general in 1890 indicates that the post office would serve a community of approximately 2,000 individuals, and noted that "the proposed office is in the midst of an intelligent community that is densely populated."

In close proximity to the center of the Mallory Community was a grist mill on Big Sandy Creek operated by the Gibbs family. There were also two cotton gins in proximity to the community. One was located approximately two miles south, at the intersection of present-day Bostwick Highway and Sandy Creek Roads. The other one was located approximately two miles north at the intersection of present-day Bostwick Highway and Nolan Store Road, a community that later was identified as Drexel.


BECAUSE OF THE INDIVIDUALS WHO TAKE PRIDE IN THIS COMMUNITY,
MALLORY

IS RECOGNIZED AS A SIGNIFICANT PART OF OUR COUNTY HISTORY



 

 

104-A8