Historic Markers Across Georgia



Murray County



Marker ID: GHM 105-11
Location: Courthouse in Chatsworth
County: Murray
Coordinates: N 34° 46.012    W 084° 46.192
  34.76687122    -84.76986349
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM681
Murray County Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Murray County, Created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee, originally contained Whitfield, Walker, Catoosa, Dade and part of Chattooga Counties. Settled by people from Tenn., N.C., and Ga., it was named for Thomas Walton Murray (1790-1832). A native of Lincoln County, a lawyer, legislator, and speaker of the house, he acquired distinction for his independence and honesty. A candidate for Congress, he died before the election. First officers of Murray County, commissioned March 20, 1833, were: Nelson Dickerson, Clk. Sup. Ct.; John Sloan, Clk. Inf. Ct.; James C. Barnett, Sheriff; Thomas Gann, Surveyor; Adam Gann, Coroner.

GHM 105-11 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

105-11