Historic Markers Across Georgia



Springplace Mission



Marker ID: GHM 105-1
Location: Ga 52 Alt just east of Ga 225 west of Chatsworth
County: Murray
Coordinates: N 34° 45.673    W 084° 48.963
  34.76122256    -84.816049
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3CJM
Springplace Mission Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Southward from this spot stood this famous mission, founded in 1801 by Moravian Brethren from Salem, N.C.

The first school among the Cherokees, this mission continued until 1833, and added much to their remarkable advancement.

Here were taught many leaders of the Cherokee Nation. One was Elias Boudinot, later editor of the ´the Cherokee Phoenix.

The work begun here was not abandoned with the forced removal of the Cherokees, but was transferred to New Springplace, in Oklahoma.

GHM 105-1A Georgia Historic Marker 1953



 

 

105-1A