Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Gilmer



Marker ID: GHM 105-2
Location: Old US 411 4 miles north of Carters and south of Chatsworth
County: Murray
Coordinates: N 34° 39.661    W 084° 42.555
  34.661017    -84.709250
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4P1H
Fort Gilmer Marker  



Text:

One hundred yards east is the site of Fort Gilmer, built in 1838 to garrison U.S. troops ordered to enforce the removal from this region of the last Cherokee Indians under terms of the New Echota treaty of 1833.

One of seven such forts erected in the Cherokee territory, Gilmer was the temporary headquarters of Gen. Winfield Scott, under whose command the removal was effected. The reluctant Indians were brought here and guarded until the westward march began.

GHM 105-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

105-2