Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Federal Road



Marker ID: GHM 105-8
Location: Ga 52 Alt and Ga 225 at Spring Place
County: Murray
Coordinates: N 34° 45.721    W 084° 49.32
  34.7620166    -84.82200712
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM67W
Old Federal Road Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The earliest vehicular and postal route from northwest Georgia was the Federal Road, which led from the southeast Cherokee boundary, in the direction of Athens, Georgia to Tennessee; a Y-shaped thoroughfare, it forked at Ramhurst toward Knoxville and Nashville. The western prong passed Spring Place, running northwestward by Ringgold and Rossville.

Rights of the white people to use this way were formally granted by the Cherokees in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico. Prior to that time the trace had served as a trading path to Augusta.

James Vann of Spring Place was instrumental in opening the Federal Road. he established the ferry where the highway crossed the Chattahoochee in Forsyth County.

The second post office in northwest Georgia was opened on this route at Spring Place on November 15, 1819 with John Gambold as postmaster.

105-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 2000



 

 

105-8