Historic Markers Across Georgia



Forks of the Old Federal Road



Marker ID: GHM 105-9
Location: US 76 and Old US 411 south of Chatsworth
County: Murray
Coordinates: N 34° 41.834    W 084° 44.135
  34.69723754    -84.73558832
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6JV
Forks of the Old Federal Road Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The Old Federal Road, leading across the Indian Country from the Cherokee boundary, in the direction of Athens, branched at this point toward Knoxville and Nashville. The right turn led northward into Tennessee via Chatsworth and Tennga, while the left fork bore northwestward via Spring Place and Rossville.

Formal permission for the white people to use this way was granted by the Cherokees in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tenn.

This thoroughfare, following the course of an early trading path to Augusta, became northwest Georgia´s first vehicular and postal route.

GHM 105-9 Georgia Historical Commission



 

 

105-9