Historic Markers Across Georgia



Columbus Iron Works



Marker ID: GHM 106-13
Location: Wall of the Columbus Convention Center, 801 Front Ave, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.723    W 084° 59.696
  32.46205    -84.99493333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM4BQ2
Columbus Iron Works  Marker  



Text:

Established 1853, was operated by the Confederate government as Naval Iron Works making cannon, other war munitions, and two gun boats. This plant was credited with making the first breach loading cannon.

At south end of Dillingham Street bridge, two blocks west of this marker was built the world´s first ice factory operated by Columbus Mfg. Co. Ice machines made at the Columbus Iron Works were used in this plant.

GHM 106-13 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

Columbus Iron Works


 

106-13