Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Memorial Day



Marker ID: GHM 106-15
Location: 2nd Ave at 11th St, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.011    W 084° 59.415
  32.46685    -84.99025
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM80BQ
Confederate Memorial Day  Marker  



Text:

The first Confederate Memorial Day service in Columbus was held on this site (St. Luke Methodist Church) on April 26, 1866. The program was under the auspices of the ladies´ Memorial Association, which was organized in the early Spring of 1866 for the purpose of holding a Memorial service each year honoring the Confederate dead.

April 26, anniversary of the surrender of General Joseph E. Johnston, was selected as a suitable date for Memorial Day. The Secretary of the Ladies´ Memorial Association of Columbus wrote to the Southern press proposing that the entire South join in the custom of the annual Confederate Memorial Day and suggesting April 26 as the date. The custom was inaugurated throughout the South and the date suggested was adopted. Since then, Confederate Memorial Services have been held in Columbus annually on that date.

GHM 106-15 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

Confederate Memorial Day

Notes:

The Secretary of the Ladies Memorial Association was Mrs. Charles J. Williams (formerly Miss Mary Ann Howard). See the two `Confederate Cemetery` markers in Marietta for more information on her memorial activities. She is also known as the maker of the US Flag carried by the Georgia Regiment during the Mexican War of 1846 - 48.

 

106-15