Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Columbus Guards



Marker ID: GHM 106-16
Location: 1st Avenue opposite the Court House, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.777    W 084° 59.543
  32.46295    -84.99238333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3BE5
The Columbus Guards  Marker  



Text:

Site, of the last armory of the Columbus Guards, a noted military company charted by the Georgia Legislature in 1843 and organized in 1835. They served voluntarily in the Indian War 1836; the War with Mexico, 1846, the War Between the States, the Spanish War, on the Mexican Border in 1916-17, and the First World War, after which they became inactive. The Columbus Guards furnished the largest number of volunteer of any of the 21 companies from Muscogee County in the States War. Serving in 31 battles the Company surrendered at Appomattox April 9, 1865, with but 2 officers and 11 men.

GHM 106-16 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

106-16