Historic Markers Across Georgia



Camp Conrad



Marker ID: GHM 106-16A
Location: Second Avenue at 32nd Street, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 29.61    W 084° 59.396
  32.4935    -84.98993333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Q37
Camp Conrad  Marker  



Text:

Main entrance to Camp Conrad, where a brigade of 3,500 troops was stationed in the winter of 1898-1899 (Spanish-American War). Camp sire occupied space between Third and Sixth Avenues and 29th and 33rd Sts. Brigade was composed of 160th Indiana, Third Kentucky, and First West Virginia Regiments. The Indiana and Kentucky regiments went to Cuba and Puerto Rico in 1899. The west Virginia Regiment was mustered out at Camp Conrad.

Troops at Camp Conrad were reviewed on December 7, 1898, by Major general James H. Wilson, who commanded the federal army that engaged in the Battle of Columbus, April 16th, 1865.

GHM 106-16A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 

Camp Conrad


 

106-16A