Historic Markers Across Georgia



Haiman's Sword Factory



Marker ID: GHM 106-17
Location: 1st Avenue between 14th and 15th Streets, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.406    W 084° 59.494
  32.47343333    -84.99156666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4ZKJ
Haiman's Sword Factory Marker  



Text:

Haiman's
Sword Factory


Site of Haiman´s Sword Factory, the largest plant of its type in the South during the War Between the States, Louis and Elias Haiman came to Columbus from Prussia in the 1830s and established a tinsmith shop. At the War´s start they established small sword factory, moving to this site later to manufacture swords and other various army equipment. By 1863 they employed over 400 workers. That year they also began to manufacture the Colt Navy Pistol, selling the machinery to the C.S. Government in 1864. The facilities were burned by Federal forces April 17, 1865.






GHM 106-17 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION
1994




Haiman's Sword Factory
Photo by David Seibert



 

106-17