Historic Markers Across Georgia



Eagle & Phenix Mills



Marker ID: GHM 106-18
Location: Front Ave between 12th and 13th Sts, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.194    W 084° 59.681
  32.4699    -84.99468333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4ZWJ
Eagle & Phenix Mills Marker  



Text:

In 1851 the Eagle Mill, one of the pioneer textile plants of Columbus was built on this site to manufacture cotton and woolen goods. During the war the mill manufactured goods for the Confederacy and the state of Georgia. Products included grey uniform tweed, cotton duct for tents cotton stripes for army shirts, cotton jeans, osnaburgs sheetings, rope and India rubber cloth. Federal forces burned the mill April 17, 1865. It rose from the ashes in 1866 as Eagle & Phenix Mills, the added name to signify its rebirth. The present plant consists of a series of mills.

GHM 106-18 Georgia Historical Commission 1955




Eagle & Phenix Mills
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

The Mill has changed significantly since this marker went up in 1955. The decline and eventual collapse of the American textile industry in the late 20th Century resulted in the closure of this mill as well as all the others along the river in Columbus. The building set empty for years before it was bought to be remodeled into luxury condominiums and apartments as a part of the larger redevelopment of the Columbus Riverfront District.
From the American Heritage Dictionary (on-line):
Osnaburgs (noun) - A heavy, coarse cotton fabric, used for grain sacks, upholstery, and draperies

 

106-18