Historic Markers Across Georgia



Columbus Steamboat Wharf



Marker ID: GHM 106-23
Location: Front St at 9th, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.771    W 084° 59.692
  32.46285    -84.99486666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPW3H
Columbus Steamboat Wharf  Marker
Photo by Markerman



Text:

The Columbus Steamboat Wharf, about 700 ft. from here, was used as a river boat landing for 111 years. 210 steamers arrived from Jan. 26, 1828 when the first steamer, the "Fanny" docked at the wharf until Apr. 1, 1939 when the "George W. Miller" arrived. There were 240 steamboat landings in the 360 miles from Columbus to Apalachicola, port city on the Gulf of Mexico. The Confederate gunboat, "Jackson", mounting six heavy naval cannon, built near the Columbus Wharf, was burned there by invading Federal forces, April 17, 1865. Afire, she floated several miles down the river and sank, burned to the waterline.

GHM 106-23 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION



 

 

106-23