Historic Markers Across Georgia



City Mills



Marker ID: GHM 106-24
Location: First Ave at 18th St, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.781    W 084° 59.505
  32.47968333    -84.99175
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM80DT
City Mills  Marker  



Text:

Site of the oldest manufacturing operation on the Chattahoochee River at Columbus, April 3, 1828, the State of Georgia through Governor George R. Gilmer, issued a grant to Seaborn Jones for Lot No. 1 (51/2 acres) in the reserve at the Coweta Fall. Seaborn Jones built a grist mill in 1828, known as Jones Mill and began the manufacture of water-ground corn meal. Milling operations of similar type have continued on this site ever since.

The original dam across the river at this point was of wooden construction. In 1906-1907 the present stone dam was built by City Mills Co. The mill has operated under the name of City Mills for more than a century.

GHM 106-24 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

City Mills


 

106-24