Historic Markers Across Georgia



Col. W. L. Salisbury



Marker ID: GHM 106-26
Location: In parkway opposite 711 (?) Broadway, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.593    W 084° 59.597
  32.45988333    -84.99328333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3C1M
Col. W. L. Salisbury  Marker  



Text:

This park is named for Col. W. L. Salisbury (1830-1878), soldier, editor, banker, distinguished citizen of Columbus whose contribution to progress and culture in his native city was outstanding. His home was on the east side of this block. He was a member of the Georgia Greys, Fifth Georgia Regiment, the second group from Columbus to join the Confederate army. A major from early in the war, he fought with honor in many engagements. Col. Salisbury was a leader of a group of citizens whose activity and influence helped establish, in 1867, a public school in Columbus, one of the first Southern cities to have a public school system. Owner and publisher of the Columbus Enquirer-Sun, he met a tragic death as the result of an editorial carried in his paper. His funeral procession one of the largest in Columbus history, extended from this to Linwood Cemetery with 5,000 people in line, the majority walking , there were three military companies, two fire companies, several fraternal orders.

School children, white and black, stood at attention as the cortage passed then joined the procession. All businesses closed; flags were at half mast; bells tolled. At the time of his death, Col. Salisbury was the oldest native-born white citizen of Columbus.

GHM 106-26 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

106-26