Historic Markers Across Georgia



Oglethorpe House



Marker ID: GHM 106-4
Location: 12th St at 1st Ave, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.125    W 084° 59.503
  32.46875    -84.99171666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPW1E
Oglethorpe House  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Oglethorpe House


On this corner stood the Oglethorpe House, widely known ante-bellum hotel. Built in 1836, the old building was the scene of gala receptions, honoring famous visitors to Columbus. Among these were two Presidents, James K. Polk and Millard Fillmore, and the statesman, Henry Clay.

Gen. Winfield Scott used the partially completed structure as his headquarters when, in 1836, he commanded the U.S. troops sent to this region to quell an Indian uprising which threatened Columbus and other West Georgia settlements.

GHM 106-4 On this corner stood the Oglethorpe House, widely known ante-bellum hotel. Built in 1836, the old building was the scene of gala receptions, honoring famous visitors to Columbus. Among these were two Presidents, James K. Polk and Millard Fillmore, and the statesman, Henry Clay.

Gen. Winfield Scott used the partially completed structure as his headquarters when, in 1836, he commanded the U.S. troops sent to this region to quell an Indian uprising which threatened Columbus and other West Georgia settlements.





GHM 106-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION
1953




Oglethorpe House
Photo by David Seibert



 

106-4