Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Elmo



Marker ID: GHM 106-9
Location: in front of the house on 18th Ave south of St. Elmo Drive, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 29.367    W 084° 57.979
  32.48945    -84.96631666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8039
St. Elmo  Marker  



Text:

"St. Elmo", one of the most exquisite examples of the classic houses in America, stands in view of this point, it was built on the old Stagecoach Road by colonel Seaborn Jones, for his wife, Mary Howard Jones. Completed in 1833, it was originally called "Eldorado." Here, Augusta Jane Evans visited her aunt and found inspiration for her celebrated novel "St. Elmo."

As a member of Governor Troup´s staff Seaborn Jones came to the site of Columbus with LaFayette in 1825. Lawyer, painter, solicitor-general of the Ocmulgee Circuit (1817-1818), he was member of Congress in 1835-45 - 47. President James K. Polk, President Millard Fillmore, Henry Clay, and General Winfield Scott were distinguished visitors entertained in this house by Colonel Jones.

In 1878, the place became the home of Captain and Mrs. James J. Slade and the name changed to St. Elmo. Captain Slade once conducted a girls school here.

GHM 106-9 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

St. Elmo


 

106-9