Historic Markers Across Georgia



1918 Diamond Jubilee 1993 Camp Benning/Fort Benning Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Macon and Dixon Roads, Columbus (at site of Hilton)
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.451    W 084° 57.146
  32.47418333    -84.95243333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4Q38
1918 Diamond Jubilee 1993 Camp Benning/Fort Benning Side 1) Marker  



Text:

In October 1918, the Infantry School of Arms was established on 80 acres of land near here. Camp Benning, later Fort Benning, was named in honor of Confederate Infantry Lewis Benning, a Columbus Resident. The camp´s first commander was Col. Henry Eames. Constructed in just 7 days, the temporary camp had some 300 tents, mess halls, offices and warehouses. It was built under the supervision Major J. Paul Jones. Hundreds of thousands of young men received their military training under the watchful eye of such legendary military leaders as Marshall, Eisenhower, Stillwell, Collins, and Patton, here at the Infantry School.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Carl Patrick Foundation 1993



 

1918 Diamond Jubilee 1993 Camp Benning/Fort Benning Side 1)


 

106-A1