Historic Markers Across Georgia



Colombian Lodge No. 7 Free & Accepted Masons



Marker ID: F. & A. M. 
Location: 2nd Avenue between 11th and 12th Streets, Columbus, GA.
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.061    W 084° 59.437
  32.46768333    -84.99061666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4A68
Colombian Lodge No. 7 Free & Accepted Masons Marker  



Text:

Organized October 9, 1828, Columbian Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Georgia in December 1828, as No. 28. In 1849 it became No. 7. It is the oldest Lodge in western Georgia. First Worshipful Master was Luther Blake. The Lodge was organized two months before the city of Columbus was incorporated in Muscogee County, then in Indian border country.

Numbered among the many prominent Georgians who have been members of Columbian Lodge: Col. James W. Fannin, Master in 1929, a martyr at Goliad in the War for Texas Independence. Mirabeau Bounaparte Lamar, editor, poet, soldier, statesman, hero of San Jacinto, and second President of the Texas Republic; Philip T. Schley, Grand Master of Georgia Masons 1836 through 1841 and again in 1843.

During its nearly 150 years of continuous existence as a vital influence for good, Columbian Lodge has furnished many outstanding, citizens and brethren in the field of public and fraternal service.

Always steadfast in its adherence to the gentle philosophy of Freemasonry, Columbian Lodge No. 7 is the mother lodge of the Chattahoochee River Valley.

Erected by the Educational and Historical Commission, Grand Lodge of Georgia, F. & A.M.



Columbian Lodge No. 7 F.&A.M.
Colombian Lodge No. 7 Free & Accepted Masons
Photo by CrippledBlindSquirrel



 

106-A10