Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bricks & Clay Products



Marker ID:  
Location: Heritage Park, 700 Front Avenue, Columbus GA
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 27.567    W 084° 59.664
  32.45945    -84.9944
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Bricks & Clay Products


For millions of years, the Chattahoochee River flooded its banks, dropped its silt, and created vast deposits of clay. Because of this accumulation of clay, brick making began south of Phenix City at least as early as 1940. The Bickerstaff family started producing clay products in 1885. Much of the brick architecture so prominently displayed within the Chattahoochee Valley can be attributed to bricks made at the Bickerstaff plants. This kiln was built at one of the Bickerstaff plants. It was donated by Boral Bricks, Inc., and relocated and restored by the families of Frank Jeter Bickerstaff, Jr. and Richard Howard Bickerstaff.

Erected by the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc., Uptown Columbus, Inc., and the City of Columbus.



 

 

106-A104